Electrician’s Tips

Why should I get my home’s electrical system inspected?
As a recent study from the Fire Protection Research Foundation showed, older homes can have serious electrical conditions that need to be inspected and fixed by electrical experts, such as a qualified electrician. Electrical fires that start behind your walls can be among the most serious and deadly. Your family and the smoke alarms in your home may not detect an electrical fire until it is fully engulfed, giving you less time and fewer options for escape. Having your home inspected by a trained electrical professional, such as a qualified electrician, is a simple step to protect you, your family, and your home.

Who would be considered a “qualified electrician?”
A qualified electrician is a trained professional who has skills, knowledge, and experience related to the installation and repair of electrical wiring and equipment. These electricians should be familiar with the electrical building code requirements in the localities in which they work, and should also be familiar with the latest requirements of the National Electrical Code®  (NEC®). If you have an older home and want it inspected, you might also want to consider finding an electrician who is familiar with the NFPA 73, Electrical Inspection Code for Existing Dwellings

What type of wiring should my home have?
If wiring is properly installed and maintained, even older wiring can continue to perform effectively and safely. Problems can occur in any type of wiring when it has not been properly installed or maintained. Problems also occur when changes, that did not meet well recognized, proven safety provisions, have been made in the electrical system after the home was originally constructed.

For owners of older homes, it is critical that their entire electrical system be inspected by a qualified electrician. Consult these professionals to find out what wiring would fit your home best.

What problems constitute a fire risk?
Call a qualified electrician (or your landlord) if you have:

  • Recurring problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers
  • A tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance or other metal objects
  • Discolored or warm wall outlets
  • A persistent burning smell or rubbery odor coming from an appliance, room, or area
  • Flickering lights
  • Sparks from an outlet
  • Animal or insect infestation with the possibility of them gnawing on wiring
  • Degradation due to moisture or flood damage
  • Older homes with outdated wiring that may show signs of cracking or damage to the wire insulation.